Whether you knew it or not, Friday, November 13, was World Kindness Day! It is a day devoted to doing random acts of kindness for people around you. In a year like 2020, we think that World Kindness Day is especially important. While the day is now passed, we value random kindness every day of the year, and we want to supply you with plenty of ideas for random kindness throughout your day.
For People You Do Not Know
- Pay for someone’s order in the drive-thru. Buying a random person’s coffee or lunch in the drive-thru is a beautiful way to spread kindness throughout your day. It often inspires the person behind you to do the same, starting a chain of kindness.
- Pay for someone’s groceries. This is often a little bit more expensive than picking up someone’s bill at the drive-thru, but it is a powerful way to spread kindness in a personal manner.
- Open the door for someone you do not know. Opening the door for others is one of the simplest ways to show kindness to others. It also means that fewer people touch the door, slowing the spread of germs, which is quite helpful during the pandemic!
For Your Friends and Family
- A fun, creative way to be kind to people you know is to send them money in Venmo or Cashapp. You can send them a few dollars for coffee or lunch as a surprise, and it is guaranteed to make their day! This is perfect for a partner, friend, parent, or kid.
- Bake something fun for your neighbors. Few things are quite as lovely as getting a pie or batch of cookies unexpectedly from your neighbors. It is also nice to see a familiar face in a time when our social interactions are limited.
- Offer to make dinner for your friend’s family. As many of you know, providing dinner for your family every night can be draining, and taking care of this for a friend is such a wonderful surprise. If you cannot make them dinner, think about sending them money to buy take-out for them. This is such a great way to give your friends a break for the evening!
- Post something on your social media about being kind. Sometimes all it takes to spread kindness and joy is reminding your friends of its importance. Inspiring your friends to be kind through social media can spark kindness that spreads like wildfire!
Be Kind To Yourself
- While being kind to others is crucial, we must remember to be kind to ourselves. Think of something that refreshes you and helps you get through your week. Maybe it is taking an evening bath, going for a run, or sitting in the park. Try and do a self-care activity to be kind to yourself!
Being kind to others is always important throughout the holiday season. Many people need a little extra kindness during the challenging year of 2020. We hope that you will choose to do a random act of kindness each day!